Bringing good food to light

6.14.2012

Mix Vegetable Upma

Mix Veg Upma

It is always a wonderful weather at Nitte. The best thing about Nitte is the lush green sceneries. The summers are not accompanied with the heat like that of Udupi or Mangalore. When it rains, the atmosphere becomes something that is above the levels of heaven. My husband and I always loved silent places with greenery and a cold weather.

Flower Bud



Cooking is a pleasure here, because I keep trying new stuff, sometimes its a hit, sometimes I fail, and I learn so much from these ups and downs. I always feared preparing dosas. But recently, I tried my hands on and it was good.

Talking about dosas, my mother used to be the best in all in preparing the dosa. Ever since we lost her recently, I realized there are so many things that I wanted to ask and learn from her. Her untimely death had a bad impact on everybody in the house. There was break from everything. Moreover, she knew certain things that just got swept away untold with her soul. Everything of hers just became a memory. I'm only happy with the fact, that her last happy moments were during my wedding. :)

All I learnt from last few days, is to keep a constant tab on ourselves, our diet, our cooking, our eating habits. Not only this, we need to keep our mental health in the right track. If you are mentally and spiritually unhappy, that may take away a lot from you.

Wheat Rava




I would say, depending more on the homemade comfort food is best option to stay healthy. A simple, but heavy breakfast that is accompanied with plain or flavored milk. Lunch that is rich in vitamins, greens and vegetables. Dinner, of course, should be a light meal. I used to be a coffee addict. Now, I guess it has been a long long time since I had a cup of coffee. Tea, is a better option, if you would love to switch over during your tea-time.

Talking about comfort food, Upma, the queen of a list of South Indian breakfast recipes, is the best form of a nice, peaceful morning. Upma / Uppittu is actually one of the most hated breakfast among most people, just because it gets a little bland sometimes. There is a nice way of making it interesting and tasteful.






I learnt this method of Upma quite recently. From every bite you get the crunch of vegetables and the fragrance of the seasoning. Apparently, I have seen most of my close relatives eating Upma with thick curd. I happened to try this and realized that its a winning combination and very comforting. My family loves this combo too.

Chopped beans


Chopped Capsicum and Tomato





Mix Veg. Upma Recipe



Ingredients


For 2-3 servings*

2 cups of Wheat Rava (Roasted in a wok or microwave)
2 medium sized chopped Onions
1 Capsicum
7-8 chopped beans
1 large chopped tomato
2 or 3 finely chopped green chillies**
1 tsp of turmeric powder
5 cups of water*
2 tsp of table salt (To taste)
2 tsp of ghee
2 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves

Seasoning


2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp of mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp channa dal
10-12 curry leaves

Method


Before starting the preparation, you need to cook the vegetables (i.e. beans, tomato and capsicum) separately either in a pressure cooker or an oven. Do not cook them completely. Let it be just-cooked.

Step 1: Heat a wok, and add oil. Once the oil turns hot, add mustard seeds. Now, turn off the heat, and add the remaining seasoning ingredients i.e. urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves.***


Step 2: Turn on the heat and add chopped onions, chopped green chillies and fry till it just starts turning transparent. Then add the turmeric powder.


Step 3: Add the remaining cooked vegetables to the wok and fry them along with the onions. At this stage you need to add salt. Mix well.


Step 4: Add water to this mixture. Keep stirring gently. Wait till the mixture starts boiling and bubbling.





Step 5: At this stage, reduce the heat to sim, add the wheat rava. Do not stir, you need to just fold the mixture. The upma neads to be airy, hence you need to fold and not stir.


Step 6: Add ghee over the top of the upma, fold in the upma, add coriander leaves on top and serve hot.




Note:
* For 2 servings of upma, I used 2 cups of rava and nearly 2 cups of vegetables. For 4 servings it would be close to 4 cups of upma and 4 cups of vegetables. I would suggest some more vegetables that could be added to this upma, viz. Caulifower, peas, carrots, potato and shallots. Water should be twice that of rava and one extra cup for the vegetables. As the quantity of rava and vegetables goes high, you may add a little extra water to ensure that the consistency is saved.
** I have added just two green chillies. This depends on my mood. If I want the upma to be spiced up, I would add 3 or may be 4. It is always better that a spicy upma is accompanied with cold and thick curd.
*** Once the mustard seeds start popping, it is always better to turn off the heat and add urad dal, channa dal and curry leaves. I use this method mainly to avoid the risk of burning the seasoning.



1 comments:

  1. Looks irresistable..colourful and yummy to look at.
    www.soundaryasbeautyworld.com

    ReplyDelete

I just hope I could explain the recipe elaborately. If you would like to add something, correct me or say something then go ahead :)

© Food for Joy!, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena